Saturday, July 20, 2013

Mandrake Hotel & Resort Review and Guest Post

Title: The Mandrake Hotel and Resort (to violence if necessary)
Author: Jarod Kintz

Genre: Humor
Pages: 66
Excerpt: The Mandrake Excerpt

Bookseller: Amazon Kindle Edition











The Blurb: Right versus wrong, good versus evil, and peanut butter versus jelly—these are just a few of the many eternal struggles this book tackles.
But don’t worry, based on the NFL’s recent concussion scares, all this book’s characters were made to wear helmets before these hard-hitting issues were tackled.
Some central questions will be answered, like:
Who is Dark Jar Tin Zoo, and why is he trying to take over the world?
Will Jackson Jackson Jackson be able to thwart Dark’s diabolical plans? And why does he have a last name for a first and a middle name?
Is Abby Norma Sykes simply too sexy to be featured in such a dramatic thriller such as this book clearly is?
Finally, is it improper to refer to a dwarf as a midget? And what is the shortest height you can be without technically being a dwarf? Is it really as tall as 4’11”? Does that make a person who’s 4’10” the World’s Tallest Dwarf?
This book doesn't actually discuss such serious social issues as I alluded to in the last paragraph, but it should. I’ll speak to the author immediately, and maybe he’ll address them in the sequel.

My Review: Honestly as I began reading this book I thought What... Why... I'm confused! Then I set it aside and thought I will pick this one up later. Well curiosity got the best of me and later turned out to only be about 30 seconds later. I then started reading with a little less intensity and a little more light heartedly. As I got deeper into The Mandrake Hotel & Resort the giggles became more prominent and laughter was definitely was visible.  I couldn't help but think the song Hotel California by The Eagles may have been a fitting song for this book. I don't know if anyone truly ever became the victor or do I? Did Dark Jar Tin Zoo take over? My lips are sealed! You must go find a copy for yourself and find out. I will say that I think Jarod Kintz has a wild sense of humor and I believe I would read more from him! I hope Mr. Kintz that you never loose your wild sense of humor and you always bring it through in your writing as it truly is wonderful!
5/5



Author Bio:
Born in Salt Lake City on March 5th, 1982, Jarod grew up in Jacksonville, Florida and graduated with an English degree from the University of Florida. He has written many “books” but likes to use the term loosely; describing them as mostly just compilations of his random thoughts and one-liners. (Editor’s Note: Don’t believe a word of it, he’s brilliant!) A master of modesty, he probably won’t mention that (among his many writing achievements) he once sold a line of pithy t-shirts to Urban Outfitters. With characteristic humility, Jarod says, “But my story is just beginning. I plan on failing my way to success. I have been rejected by literary agents, publishers, MFA programs, and all sorts of women. But still I keep writing. Share yourself with the world. If there is one thing I like to impress upon people, it’s that you can do it, even if you can’t. Just keep can’ting until eventually you can. And you can quote me on that.” 

My Guest Post With: Jarod Kintz


People often write to me and ask me for writing tips. I never really know what to say, because it’s not like I have all the answers.

I guess the main thing for me is to be true to myself. If my writing pleases me, then in my book I have succeeded as a writer.

I also write nonstop. I’m always jotting down my thoughts. Most are fragments, but one of these may spark a more complete idea later on. I’m an intellectual packrat.

I will stop whatever I am doing to write down a thought—as soon as it occurs to me. I don’t wait, no matter what activity I am doing. I write while driving, exercising, and yes, even during sleep. I’ll wake up often throughout the night, flip on the light, click my pen, and scribble down my dream nonsense in the notebook I keep on the nightstand next to my bed.


I guess that’s all the advice for writing I have at the moment. Oh, and one more thing—Copyright all your work. Too many dishonest people out there who wouldn't mind passing off your mind labor as their own if it will bring them a little coin or congratulations. 


For more info and a great selection of his funny quotes, visit Jarod’s website or follow him on Facebook, Goodreads & Twitter.

Book Trailer (click below)

Mandrake Hotel & Resort Book Trailer


"Combining absurd, farcical and surreal humour with some more serious and thoughtful musings the book is a firework of clever lines and quirky episodes.
The Mandrake Hotel has a room for everyone, whatever your desires, hobbies and preferences are. It is a madhouse and a world of liberty: Whether you want a room made of sand, one with specific collectibles or a floor full of nudists - the hotel has got it.
I wondered for a long time if the hotel was written as a fantasy world for lazy and hedonistic people (as one reviewer suggested) or as a wider symbol for the world as it is; a statement not unlike the questions of all questions in Douglas Adams book. The world population is exploding, so are we sitting on a powder keg that will go off once the resources run out? Can humanity survive? Are we sane in doing what we are doing?
A lot of ideas are covered in this book at a fast pace, highlighting absurdities and having a good laugh at them.
The author draws you into the book with his wit and once I had handed over total logic to the valet and stopped trying to make sense of every line that was thrown at me - at times very fast paced and confusing - I eased in to the rhythm of the story. It reminds me of the great Eugene Ionesco and Haruki Murakami, without wanting to imply that the style is close to either of them.

'Resort to violence' refers to the plot as it thickens. Our hero of many names and his date Abby decide to fight Dark, the villain from the 13th floor and here a more structured narrative continues.

The book is hugely entertaining, clever and will probably divide the audience into those who appreciate it and those who may not 'get it'. Luckily I was part of the latter group.”
Diebus

1 comment:

  1. What a great review, for a really fun book! Thank you for sharing, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete